Magic Con - Will He Make the Pro Tour?


So I'm heading to my first Magic Con Philly 2023 - I've played Magic the Gathering at cons (like 2022 GenCon) but this will be my first Magic-focused con.  And oh boy, did I decide to just dive down the rabbit hole.  The first thing that struck me about the available events were...  the staight out number of formats available to compete in and play at this con.  What even is Grand Melee?  Did you say Pioneer Sealed - I can get one booster from each legal set to make a 60 card deck?!  Wow, some formats I never knew I'd ever see, or even thought existed.


I don't think I have enough money to try absolutely every format they have competitions for.  So I'm saving the cash I have on hand to go for attempting to qualify for the pro tour!  There are 2 opportunities with Sealed format Phyrexia, All Will Be One.  I think I have a shot at prizing, just not so sure I have a shot at the top 4 to get the invitation.  But I'm going to give it a couple goes and see how well I do!  Wish me luck.




I'm stoked to meet some of my favorite content creators - however they are open to it.  Back in February 2021 when I started thinking I might want to make a go of being a pro-am streamer, I found MTG Nerd Girl who started up the Degen Streams team.  I got connected to the Discord and thought this was a really great initiative: by and for creators.  So I signed up as one of the Patreon supporters.  The team she's put together puts out some real quality content and I've run in some of their online tournaments.  She's an inspiration, and her little dog too! (This is as good as my photo editing gets okay? lol)

I have been listening to Luis Scott Vargas with Marshall Sutcliffe on Limited Resources since February 2020 and I hear he's going to be at the pro tour.  Maybe he will dip out into a format and I can play across from him - I'd like a burrito salute, please!

Zenaide Beckham is a tour de force I've been following for a bit, she's got a lot of irons in the fire.  Cosplay, content, promoting inclusion and safe spaces in gaming with SheSparkz, and is an all-round great personality.

Did you know I've been on a few Commander streams?  Yes, I've been honored to guest on Uncle Russ' stream and met a couple other streamers there.  How did I find Uncle Russ?  Through Degen!  So I'm excited to meet some of the people I've only met online in person here.  Definitely having a game or three with these folks.

If you're going and I left you out of this and we can say hello, let me know!  I'm all for meeting more people - gamers or content creators either one.  If you DO host a stream, I definitely want to guest spot on more content out there - collabs are my real jam.  I'm an engaging fun guest :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glazed Carrots

Reality Bender

How I saved $80 on a new A/C unit